Strawberries are sugar-sweet, irresistible, and omnipresent -- even if you can't pick your own, you'll find pints and quarts of them at roadside
We think that winter is a great time and season for creativity and new beginnings. Whether you’re wrapped in a blanket on your couch or out playing in the snow, working behind a desk, there’s wintry inspiration all around us, and there will be always something to share with our lovely readers!
These are the hot drinks we favour at this time of year: soothing chocolate for gentle evenings at home and a warm spiced almond milk for when you feel a little under the weather.
Golden Turmeric Milk
This sunny yellow milk brightens us up when feeling under par. Try to have a little turmeric every day, usually in a tea; its healing properties have been widely celebrated. Allowing the milk to cool a little before you add the honey will stop the heat damaging the honey’s nutrients. You can also make a peppy morning version with a little grated ginger.
(Makes 2 cups)
- 4 cardamom pods
- 400ml unsweetend coconut milk
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp runny honey
- Bash the cardamom pods in a pestle and mortar and put them into a small saucepan with the milk, turmeric and cinnamon. Heat gently until almost boiling, no hotter – if you are using a non-dairy milk, it may split.
- Pour into a mug – or strain it if the cardamom seeds bother you – and, once it has cooled a little, stir in the honey. Make sure you don’t spill any, as the lovely yellow colour can be rather persistent.
Honey And Camomile Hot Chocolate.
Something for bedtime, this is also a good way to curb a sweet tooth after dinner. (You can even ad a little shot of dark rum if it takes your fancy!)
(Makes 2 cups)
- 500 ml almond milk
- 1 camomile teabag
- 100g good chocolate, broken up
- 2 tbsp honey
- Heat the milk in a saucepan with the camomile teabag. When it is just about to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Take off the heat, remove the teabag and add the chocolate and honey. Ladle into cups and pop on to a little tray for bedtime.
There are many reasons to eat more fruits and vegetables. Freeze dried or fresh, it doesn't matter as long as they are prepared in a healthy